Thursday, June 13, 2013

Parfait (Perfect)

Tuesday Udara & I went back to the area where we went to Montmartre & Le mur des j'taimes.  This time we walked up the hill to La Basilique du Sacre Coeur.  First, we had lunch at the same cafe where we had quiche last time, it's so delicious and the people are so nice there! They are patient with our broken French.
We explored the square outside, there were artists all around the square.  It was interesting looking at all of the art, many of them were of the same thing (Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coeur, etc) but had their own twist so were all different.  If they weren't so expensive I would have gotten one, they were awesome!  I guess I'll have to stick with an attempt at a replica when we get home, new art project :)
Sacre Coeur itself is beautiful.  The mosaic in the dome is a sight to see.  Overall it was a good day walking around this area in and out of the cobblestone streets.
On our way back we got some nutella flavored gelatto (yummy!)
Sacre Coeur


Skyline of Paris....and a bunch of photobombers

On the walk back to the metro
Tonight we went to Champs-Elysees for dinner.  Udara's uncle is the chef at a Japanese Barbecue and we had a feast there!  I have only had Japanese food a few times so it was a nice change.  I love trying new foods.  I ate raw fish for the first time, and personally dismembered my own shrimp.  I'm forcing myself to do things I wouldn't at home...one of them trying lots of new foods I wouldn't necessarily choose.  Overall the meal was delicious and it was fun barbecuing it ourselves.
Miso soup, sushi, barbecued pork, fish & beef.

When we went to the bathroom after the meal it had a (very) little room for waiting and then the separate male & female stall.  We were in there by ourselves so we used both.  A young boy came in after Nishadie came out of the men's stall, he looked at her really funny so it was pretty amusing.  An older man pushed open the door and it hit me in the back, so he stopped.  I moved & opened the door and he stared at me, dumbfounded.  I told him in French it was for both..and he still stared for a second before he realized what I said.  After Udara was fixing her hair in the mirror & the guy said (apparently very creepily) 'parfait.'  
Udara, Nishu and I walked to l'arc de Triomphe. We had to walk underground because the arch is in the middle of a roundabout.  We realized in the tunnel you had to pay to get up there so we skipped that and took pictures from the other street. 
L'arc de Triomphe
At home with Udara's aunt & uncle
Yesterday we went shopping and to a place called La Defense, on the outskirts of Paris.  It is the last stop on the 1 metro line.  It was a little bit of an eerie place with a huge open area surrounded by tall buildings made of windows which were partially businesses, partially mall.  Yesterday night we saw The Bling Ring with Emma Watson.  I didn't think it was a very good movie, and it is yet another movie that makes American teenagers look horrible.
Setting of a dystopian novel?
thumb?

Not sure yet what we are doing today, maybe back to Pont des Arts to add our lock!
Tomorrow we are probably going to go to La Jardin du Luxembourg & the Louvre.  The Louvre is free Fridays from 6-945 :)


No comments:

Post a Comment